I have to start by writing a disclaimer here. I was fortunate to have been born into a family where there are many gifted and talented writers. I think, however, that the writing gene skipped me. So, I want to start by letting you know that you won't find any works of art here, but I did want to start a site so that our friends and family could keep up on what's going on in our lives. Especially now that we have started the adoption process. As I sit here I remember all the times that I tried journaling growing up. I would stare at the pages and try to think of something amazing or inspiring to write. Alas, nothing ever seemed to happen! So, I am not going to try and come up with amazing ideas to regale you all with. I simply will be posting events and adventures that our family continually find ourselves a part of.
Many of you have been curious as to why we decided we wanted to adopt a child. The most frequently heard questions is, "Can you not have anymore children of your own?" There is a very common misconception that you can or should only adopt if you can't have your own children. Derek and I have been fortunate to have two perfectly healthy wild animals of our own :). Of course the answer to the questions is, "Yes of course we can still have our own children, but we have a burning desire to take a child in that doesn't have a loving, stable home; to take care of the orphan." It is not a decision that we came to lightly. Adoption has been something I am passionate about for a very long time. Derek, on the other hand, was not quite as adament as I am about it. Over the years as we have discussed it and tossed the idea around, Derek's desire to adopt has grown. And in response to what you're all thinking, no I did not nag and coerce him into it! I have watched Derek over the last five years with our children grow into one of the most loving dads there is. I think he puts it most eloquently when he describes why he wants to adopt. He was sitting and watching our children and he said, "Our children have been blessed with parents who love them, they never have to worry about food or clothing. They have a stable home. Why would I not want to provide that for a child who doesn't have that or could grow up not having that? " We were sitting in our new church (story for another time) and both felt like God was calling us to adopt. It was crazy because the business wasn't performing quite as hoped at the time. Money was incredibly tight and here God is saying it's time to adopt. What???? So, in a leap of faith we decided to trust that if this is something that God wants us to do we wouldn't limit God and his awesome power. We have been approved by one of our adoption agencies and will be starting our home study hopefully here in the near future. Already it has been an incredibly anxiety producing experience. As we sit and think about all the expenses and fees lining up we sit and wonder what we've gotten ourselves into. Having one of our children would be a lot less expensive! But, we are continuing to trust and believe that God has something wonderful in store for us. I am already anxiously awaiting the arrival of our daughter. Yes, Katy has requested she get a sister.
I will keep you up to date as we get information and on any fundraising ideas I can come up with. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!
No comments:
Post a Comment